Protein scientist job offer
Peptomyc is a spin-off from the Vall d’Hebron Institute of Oncology (VHIO - a European lead center for clinical trials (CTs) in oncology) constituted in Barcelona in 2014. Peptomyc discovers and develops first-in-class oncology drugs and research & diagnostic tools. Its founders are Dr. Laura Soucek (the MYC KOL who designed Omomyc and used it to reveal the therapeutic window of MYC inhibition), Dr. Marie-Eve Beaulieu (the protein scientist who discovered the cell-penetrating properties of the Omomyc mini-protein), the Vall d’Hebron Institute of Oncology (VHIO) and ICREA.
Peptomyc’s mission is to revolutionize cancer treatment by harnessing the potential of precision medicine to target culprit drivers of cancer. For more information about the company please visit: www.peptomyc.com.
We are looking for a scientist with experience in bacterial and/or mammalian protein expression and purification to our Protein Platform team. The Protein Platform team supports the development of manufacturing processes as well as the discovery and early testing of pipeline assets. Activities include protein expression, purification, and analytics, making use of high throughput methods and automation to increase productivity where possible. The qualified candidate will be responsible for protein expression, purification and characterization, playing a major role in support of the biotherapeutic discovery efforts at Peptomyc.
- Protein expression in shake flasks
- Upstream and downstream purifications on various modalities of proteins
- Perform mini to mid-scale purifications using different kinds of chromatography (affinity, ion exchange, size exclusion and hydrophobic interaction chromatography) and be responsible for purification process design, optimization and troubleshooting if needed
- Characterize purified proteins by analytical methods (RP-HPLC, SDS-PAGE/CE-SDS, CD, UV/VIS, DLS, DSF/DSC
- Coordinate with a CDMO for the development of new process(es)
- Analyze and present data to supervisor and during meetings
- Play a role in implementing our strategy for producing and characterizing proteins to support various stages of the Discovery process
- Participate in the preparation of technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative
- Bachelor's Degree in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or another relevant field and 5+ years of academic / industry experience
- or Master's Degree in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or another relevant field and 3+ years of academic / industry experience
- or PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or another relevant field. No additional experience required
- Experience with Mammalian or Bacterial protein expression in shake flasks is required
- Hands on experience on protein purification using Akta systems (Pure) and ability to develop and troubleshoot purification processes is key
- Analytical protein characterization experience and familiar with HPLC and SDS-PAGE/CE-SDS
- Experience with CD, DLS and DSC/DSF is highly desirable
- Creative thinking and ability to troubleshoot standard processes is highly desirable
- Excellent technical, organizational, and analytical skills are required
- Must be detail oriented and able to work independently
- Excellent communication skills, English proficiency and the ability to work well in a collaborative and a fast-paced environment are a must.
What we offer:
- Working in an exciting international biotech start-up environment set in the rapidly growing life science sector of Barcelona.
- An enthusiastic team that pushes the boundaries of drug development by discovering and developing innovative treatments against cancer to improve patients’ lives.
- Working with a passionate, highly skilled and multidisciplinary team.
- Sophisticated laboratory equipment to support the lab work and collaborating with top external service providers.
- Fast-paced work setting with vast opportunities for professional growth.
- Competitive salary package commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
- Full-time permanent contract.
To join Peptomyc and contribute to our exciting projects, applicants should send a CV, contact information of at least one reference and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org